Wednesday 1 February 2012

Self sufficiency

This evening, after a rough afternoon with baby G, I have decided to take a break from leadership and such articles and to return to my neglected blog. I've been thinking for a while, how would it be to become self-sufficient? You know, grow your own fruit and veg, keep chickens, have a cow and pigs etc... The wonderful, blissful country life, away from the "ratrace". Since I bought my house, I've been toying with the idea of growing my own stuff. No, not live stock, that would be way too much! But some herbs and maybe other things that are not too high maintenance.
So, the first step to self sufficiency has now been made. My mum has done such a great job clearing part of the garden that I couldn't not take advantage. So off to shops we went. And came back with seeds for onions, garlic, radishes, peas, lettuce, and can't remember what else. Obviously I'm not that serious about this since I can't even remember what is to be planted, but my mum is! We already have some herbs (or whatever is left after the slug attack we had in the autumn), so now I am looking forward to the Coven crop.
Could I do it on a bigger scale? I don't think so. I quite like the ratrace. And I guess I also got a bit lazy. Probably the power of capitalism, if you can buy the stuff why work hard to get it yourself?! Especially as my yield would be nowhere near was good as the professionals', and we should listen to Porter and the likes who kept talking about competitive advantage. I somehow don't think agriculture is mine! Could be an interesting hobby. So if I remember, I will keep folks posted on the crop situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment